Tuesday, January 25, 2011

The New Kid in Class

I've said before that my kids’ artwork is a big source of inspiration to me. Oliver has had some coverage, as has Izzy. But I don’t believe I have included any of Henry’s treasures.

Over the Christmas break, I slogged through all their school papers to clear the decks and be ready for the onslaught of worksheets sure to come in 2011. To my surprise I discovered several of Henry’s papers were covered with doodles.

Sifting through, this green monster popped up on 3 pieces of paper. What a delight to behold his kindergarten doodlings—through each appearance of this green monster, you can discern ways he was busy revising the creature over time.

The green monster (have yet to ask if he has a name) inspired a recent illustration I did in preparation for the SCBWI conference in New York. My illustration may have zero application outside my own little world, but I like it. Several of the kids are modeled after kids who were preschool classmates of my kids through the years.

No comments:

Post a Comment